I KNOW IT'S NOT SO

About Patricia Evans' poetry

"Although I have spent time with Patrícia Evans on three separate occasions, I feel I know Patrícia Evans only through her poetry. She hides nothing, she surrenders everything. It is some of the most powerful poetry I have ever read. And I have read only English translations of her poems, so those who read her in her native Portuguese will experience her even more intimately. They should prepare themselves for imagery, anger, compassion, despair, humor, insight, knowledge of her self and the deepest love for those she loves, especially dad."

Robert E. Sheridan


Mr. Sheridan had been an editor for the New York Times for 32 years. He is also a poet, and a father.


Mr. Sheridan's blog:
http://www.coffeedrome.com/


PATRÍCIA EVANS

Twitter: @TiciaEvans - Email: TiciaEvans@gmail.com

13 de nov. de 2007

ALTO VERÃO / HIGH SUMMER


ALTO VERÃO
(© Patrícia Evans)

Rio de Janeiro,
fevereiro, março,
sol de cabo a rabo;
se estalar um ovo
frita no asfalto.

De vez em quando chove
e minha cidade mata
um povo aí pela madrugada,
mas e daí?

Em que barraco,
que buraco,
fiapo de esperança,
eu posso enganar
estes cinquenta graus?

De Fevereiro, Rio,
e, na espinha, o frio
provocador do caos.

Abro os braços feito estátua,
imitando meu próprio pedra-Deus
e droga! a chuva não leva-eu!

Eu tomo banho gelado,
eu tomo tudo gelado,
faz um calor absurdo
e meu corpo sua desesperado.
É você, seu puto,
este verão sem ar condicionado.

.
.


HIGH SUMMER
(© Patricia Evans / English translation - Danette Johnson )

Rio de Janeiro,
February, March,
sun from head to toe;
cracking an egg,
frying it on the pavement.

Occasionally it rains
in my town and kills
the people there at dawn,
but so what?

In that shack,
that hole
offers a shred of hope,
Can I fool myself
about fifty degrees?

It's February, Rio,
and my spine is cold
from the chaos..

I spread my arms like the statue,
mimicking my own stone god
and damn it! the rain did not take me!

I take a cold bath,
I take it all cold,
The heat is absurd
and my body sweats in desperation.
.
It's you, you son of a bitch,
my summer without air conditioning.
.
.

4 comentários:

Raypianist disse...

Amei, só vc mesmo!!!

Unknown disse...

Ha ha ha ... muito bom!

Elphie disse...

Muito verdade esse poema! Ameeii!! =)

Anônimo disse...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this link - but unfortunately it seems to be not working? Does anybody here at sanidaderelativa.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Cheers,
Daniel