I KNOW IT'S NOT SO

About Patricia Evans' poetry

"Although I have spent time with Patrícia Evans on three separate occasions, I feel I know Patrícia Evans only through her poetry. She hides nothing, she surrenders everything. It is some of the most powerful poetry I have ever read. And I have read only English translations of her poems, so those who read her in her native Portuguese will experience her even more intimately. They should prepare themselves for imagery, anger, compassion, despair, humor, insight, knowledge of her self and the deepest love for those she loves, especially dad."

Robert E. Sheridan


Mr. Sheridan had been an editor for the New York Times for 32 years. He is also a poet, and a father.


Mr. Sheridan's blog:
http://www.coffeedrome.com/


PATRÍCIA EVANS

Twitter: @TiciaEvans - Email: TiciaEvans@gmail.com

26 de ago. de 2007

BABUSKAS

"BABUSKAS"

( © Patrícia Evans)
.
Nunca visitei a Holanda,
nem sei pra que lado fica,
que sou péssima em geografia,
mas acho que são de lá
os tamancos de bico engraçado
e as bonecas que se escondem
uma dentro da outra e dentro da outra
e dentro da outra e dentro da outra
até que uma menor,
quase invisível aos olhos,
balança feito João Bobo
nas garras afiadas
da minha gata vira-latas.
.
Eu não conheço a Holanda
e acho que as bonecas são russas,
mas sei o que são pés apertados
em sapatos de bicos de graça indizível,
sei o que é garra afiada de gato
e sei o que é ser invisível.
.

.

"BABUSKAS"

( © Patrícia Evans)

I’ve never visited Holland,
nor do I know which way it lies,
for I am terrible at geography,
but I think that’s where they come from—
those clogs with the funny-shaped toes
and the dolls that hide
one inside the other and inside the other
and inside the other and inside the other
until a tiny one,
almost invisible to the eye,
wobbles like a roly-poly toy
in the sharp claws
of my stray cat.

I don’t know Holland
and I think the dolls are Russian,
but I know what it’s like to have feet squeezed
into shoes with toes of indescribable shape,
I know what a cat’s sharp claw is like,
and I know what it is to be invisible.

Nenhum comentário: